Search This Blog

6/05/2019

V, V, Victory, Var, Var Varsity...V-Block Time!

Ok, fine. I'll put the pompoms away.

It's V-Block week here at Stoney's Crew! Let's look at this beast:

Not that one!

This one:

Holy cow there are a lot of numbers and lines on this thing. Here is a link to Deb Tucker's YouTube tutorial on how to use this ruler. Click here: Deb Tucker V Block Tutorial.

I'm sure my left-handed buds here appreciate info on how to use the ruler for left hand cuts. My pictures are right hand, so remember that as you read along. First we have to know what size we are going to make...for this project we need 4" FINISHED units, so we will need to cut strips 5" strips  of both BACKGROUND and PRETTY, HAPPY fabrics. Go ahead and cut them, I'll wait. You won't need as many BACKGROUND strips, since we will be cutting smaller side triangles from them. The Pretty, Happy Fabrics will be the center triangle of this block.

Let's start with the side triangles. Using the BACKGROUND fabric, I put RIGHT (Pretty) sides of fabric together before cutting.


Then I placed the ruler on top of the strip of BACKGROUND with the BOLD line marked "cut line for side triangles" on the Straight Edge of the strips:


Cut on that angle. Now I separate the mirror image pairs as I cut. I find it easier to do it as I cut then to try to decide which is which after they are all cut:


Turn your ruler 180 degrees and do you see that line that goes all the way to the 6-1/2" bottom? Place that line on your fabric cut edge like this:

Now cut on that straight edge. Separate the pairs as you go. Keep rotating your ruler until you have made 48 pairs. Yes, we are going to make 48 units.

Now on my example, I am using 5"x5" squares, you can definitely cut the strips as Deb Tucker shows in the videos, but 5" squares is what I had, so it is what I am using here.


I folded the square in half, placed the ruler on the fabric with the dashed "fold line for Center Triangle" line on the fold. Like this:

and cut to make 48 Happy fabric triangles. Did you catch that this is how you make the initial cut on your strips? You're welcome.


DO NOT THROW AWAY THOSE CLIPPINGS! We won't need them for this quilt, but I have found this pair of Quilty Truths to be self-evident.

  • Fabric is expensive.
  • Fabric you throw away cost just as much as the fabric you use. 

And, let's face it, Stoney, The Princess, and The Kid all think I am cheap. I found that Thrifty is more palatable of a description!

To keep the pieces parts in the right places in my mind, I lay them out like this:

Now we can begin the task of stitching together our units.

I do all of the right sides (legs) first and then the left. I assembly line it when possible.

Fold that Right leg over on top of the triangle like this:

Then stitch down that angle. Like this:

Yes, I am sorry it is hard to see the stitches, but they are there. 

I do all of the RIGHT legs and press open. Pile back up and start on the LEFT legs by laying over the triangle:





and stitching:
Press open.

Now it is trim time! 

Place your block so that it looks like a V toward you on your cutting mat. Then lay your ruler on top of the block like this:


Can you see that the "Cut sizes" on the left? The point at the bottom of our pretty fabric triangle is nestled into the "4" cross. The lines from the Point up to the top follow your seam lines. When this happens, trim the Right and Top sides of your block.
Now lift your ruler and turn your block 180 degrees.

Place your ruler on your block with the 4-1/2" Right Angle lines on the newly trimmed sides. Like this:

 and trim those last 2 sides. 

You now have a perfect 4-1/2"x 4-1/2" Happy V-Block (finishes at 4") for our quilt. Rinse and repeat 48 times. Remember to mix up your fabrics. Because it is FUN!

Now I know I told you to save those trims, but since they are not needed for this quilt, I will show you what I did with them after we are done with this project.

Wow this week was intense. We are the Champions of the World! Shake those pompoms for yourself and cheer! You earned it!

Next week it will be easier, I promise. Oh, you want a clue. OK. Flat Bottom Blocks! (Mythical bonus points to those of you that picked up the obscure 70's Queen Rock references!)

Links to previous clues:


 
See you next week!




No comments:

Post a Comment