Search This Blog

2/08/2010

Stoney's Crew: Monday--Menu Plan & Mourning!

How could this have happened? Stoney's Crew is heartbroken...the Colts lost the Super Bowl. Not only do we have to deal with the sorrow of that sad turn of events, we have the leftovers too!

The Kid left this morning to return to college (Monday class not until after lunch--lucky dude) and a bag of things like Hamburger Helper, packaged chicken meal kits, instant potatoes, coupons, and a Valentine gift of Amish Peanut Butter went with him. Even The Pooch (a Cocker Spaniel) is recovering from this visit...he has been snoring ALL DAY!

Well it is that time to announce the week's menu for Menu Plan Monday...yes, I know I still owe you some info on the ongoing saga of the "How many meals in that Chicken? Challenge"...we'll get to that in a moment. Menu for the week first...





This Week's Menu:
Monday, 2/8: Leftovers! (doesn't mean they have to appear in the same format does it?)

Tuesday, 2/9: Tortellini Al Forno, Salad, Fruit

Wednesday, 2/10: French Toast, Bacon, Fruit

Thursday, 2/11: Fried Rice, Egg Rolls (yep, didn't get served last week!)

Friday, 2/12: Swiss Steak, Baked Potato, Corn, Salad

Saturday, 2/13: Tacos, Salad

Sunday, 2/14: Lasagna, Salad, Vanilla Spice Texas Sheet Cake



Chicken Meals Update
So far from that bird Stoney's Crew has reported on: Slow Cook Chicken, Chicken & (Homemade) Noodles, Chicken Enchiladas, Chicken Subs, The FLOP! of the week, and Chicken Noodle Casserole (made with homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup using the Chicken Stock). For a total of 21 servings or meal equivalents. Today, we are going to review the White Chicken Chili.


This is based on my own In a Rush Chicken Chili:
1 10 oz can chicken
1 14 oz can chicken broth
1 24 oz or larger jar of Great Northern Beans
1 4 oz can of chopped green chilis
3 cloves garlic chopped
1/2 softball size onion chopped
1 teaspoons Chili powder (or more)
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1 cup Sour Cream
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Normally, for this recipe, I put everything in the pot (except the sour cream and cheese) and bring to gentle rolling boil and cook until onions are transparent. About 10 minutes before serving, I add the sour cream and cheese stirring until melted.

For this adventure I used 2 cups homemade chicken; 2 quarts chicken stock from another experiment that I will report on later in the week. I used dry beans; 2-1/2 cups dry navy beans--soaked all night the night before. I put everything into my slow cooker (except sour cream and cheese) and let cook on low about 8 hours. About 10 minutes before serving I added the sour cream and cheese just like the faster stove top method.

I served with Chili Onion Cheddar Corn Muffins (add a little chili powder, a bit of finely diced onion, and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese to muffin mix and bake at 350 until done). A dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese on the Chili completed the meal. And yes, The Kid walked in the door and I forgot to get a picture! I promise to be more diligent this week!

This tasty and hearty meal serves (at least) 8! This chicken total is now up to: 29! All but 5 of the servings (the Chicken & Noodles) contained meat. Remember Stoney was sick with a sore throat, so no meat in that meal, just stock! And yes, there is still enough there to make the Egg Rolls promised last week, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it...If I had I am sure Stoney and I would be clucking! He was definitely ready for beef Saturday. I will share the Spanish Sloppy Joe Sauce recipe that I made on Saturday in tomorrow's edition of Stoney's Crew!

No comments:

Post a Comment