Search This Blog

2/04/2010

Stoney's Crew: Chicken Enchiladas O'Lay!

Put on your sombrero, it is time to do the Mexican Hat Dance here in the lab! This is one of the most simple recipes that I have for chicken...and we love using a couple of cups of our home cooked bird. This recipe officially serves 2, but here at Stoney's Crew, it is a 2 for dinner plus 1 for lunch the next day for Stoney. That gives it a score of 3 on this challenge! This recipe easily doubles, triples, and more!

Chicken Enchiladas

I adapted this from a recipe that I found in Taste of Home 2008 Annual Recipes (Alicia Johnson, Hillsboro, Oregon)

1/4 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup chicken broth
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chiles (use a minced or finely chopped jalapeno if you dare! just saute with onion & garlic)
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander*
1/8 teaspoon pepper*
1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese (divided) *
3/4 to 1 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
4 flour tortillas (8 inches) (I usually use 5!)

In a small saucepan, saute onion and garlic (and jalapeno) in butter until tender. Combine with broth. Stir in the chilies, coriander and pepper. Bring to boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in 1/2 cup cheese and the sour cream until cheese is melted. (generally add more cheese here--closer to 3/4 of a cup)

Combine chicken and 3/4 cup sauce. Place about 1/2 cup chicken mixture down the lower third of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in a greased 11 x 7 x 2 baking dish (I sprayed with non-stick coating). Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas.

Here the chicken mix is in the lower 1/3 of the tortilla.



Bring the bottom up.



Pull the outside edges in. (Yes, I know, this is more like an Egg Roll, but I like the tidy package aspect of doing it this way!)






All wrapped up!



4 Little Enchiladas all in a row!


Pour the remaining sauce over the Enchiladas and bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Garnish with sour cream, a lime slice, olives, tomatoes, and green onions if desired.



*I forgot to add the coriander and the pepper the first time I made! (arrgh!) Especially since I bought a bottle of coriander $5 for this recipe...oh well...it was tasty without it--but better with!

I suggest you use the 11 x 7 x 2 pan as indicated in the recipe...It seemed like a lot of pan for 4-5 tortillas, but then I had too much sauce in the pan when I used a smaller one! Oh well, it was still tasty! 2 of these large enchiladas was way too much for me! The last one went into Stoney's lunch the next day!

I served with my lazy version of Spanish Rice. Cook rice (1 cup rice, 2 cups of water.) After the rice is cooked (I like my microwave rice cooker) add 1/2 to 3/4 cup picante or salsa to taste. Homemade or pre-made salsa...your choice! If you use homemade fresh salsa, you may want to simmer it a bit to meld the flavors into the rice...oh yeah...I mean OH LAY!

I have up'd this recipe to 4x; tastes great; just needed multiple 9x13 baking dishes to accommodate.

Chicken Challenge Meals +3! So far that's 10 meals from this bird!

Go Colts!

No comments:

Post a Comment